Sep 07, 2017
WILMINGTON- The Wilmington College women's cross country team demonstrated their depth tonight in a home tri-meet against Thomas More College and Notre Dame College. With a team made up entirely of freshman and sophomore runners, the Fightin' Quakers finished the meet in first-place, only one point ahead of the second-place team, Thomas More.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Fightin' Quakers posted three of the top six times of the meet.
- Sophomore Allison Helmke (Defiance, OH/Tinora) once again, crossed the finish line first for the Fightin' Quakers, earning third-place overall with a time of 13:37.9 for the two-mile course.
- Freshman pair McKenzie Hamm (Blanchester, OH/Blanchester) and Summer Doty (North Lewisburg, OH/Triad) ran in for fifth (13:54.0) and sixth (13:56.9), respectively.
HEAD COACH RON COMBS QUOTES
- "It was a nice win for a very young and inexperienced women's team. They did a really nice job."
- "I was really happy with our performance tonight. I was looking for consistent racing out of our team and tightening up our pack time for our first five runners. I thought we did a great job of that!"
- "The improvement both teams showed from our meet last week to tonight was great."
- The Fightin' Quakers will be back in action Saturday, September 30 at the Louisville Cross Country Classic.