MARIETTA – The Wilmington College baseball team dropped a pair of games to Marietta College Saturday in their final OAC road doubleheader of the season.
GAME ONE: MARIETTA 9, WILMINGTON 4
- After the Pioneers took the lead with three runs in the second inning, Wilmington got back in the game in the fourth. Sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira) opened the inning with a single, and scored on a triple by junior Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]). Chua came home a groundout by junior Jake Robinson (Westerville, OH/North).
- Junior Kyle Short (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) had a two-run single in the sixth inning to pulled WC to within 6-4, but the Pioneers put the game away with three unearned runs over the course of the seventh and eighth inning.
- Sophomore Jared Ferenchak, 2-6, (Concord, OH/Notre Dame Cathedral Latin) allowed six earned runs on seven hits in three innings of work to take the loss.
- Chua was the lone Fightin' Quaker with multiple hits, while Chua and Hyatt accounted for all four runs scored.
GAME TWO: MARIETTA 13, WILMINGTON 1
- The Pioneers claimed a 9-0 lead with four runs in the first and second innings, and a single run in the third.
- Freshman Matt Oney, 3-5, (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) lasted just one out in taking the loss, allowing four earned runs on four hits.
- Short brought home Wilmington's only run with a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning, scoring sophomore Gage Bley (Harrison, OH/Harrison).
- Freshman Nick Silvis (Beavercreek, OH/Indian Lake), Bley and freshman Shane Hale (New Lebanon, OH/Dixie) each had two hits to account for six of Wilmington's seven hits. It was the first multi-hit game of Hale's career.
Wilmington travels to Kenyon 1 p.m. Wednesday for a non-conference doubleheader.